A Living Miracle by Mongolita
"Morning mum, are we still going to the amusement park later?"
"Of course, son. And we will get a ride on the Roller Coaster and an ice-cream after."
Mauricio's excitement was short-lived. Minutes after getting his ice-cream he collapsed. Inés ran to him and froze to see his lifeless body on the floor.
"Somebody call an ambulance!"
Weeks and countless tests later, Dr Hector delivered the diagnosis as leukaemia. And he needed a bone marrow transplant.
Mauricio was born after years of Inés and Cesar trying to conceive, through an embryo transplant at a private clinic; the son she'd longed for so long. He grew close to his mother, distant from his father, and after the divorce Inés kept full custody. Her mother, Lisa, had been her pillar ever since.
Mauricio wasn't responding to treatment, and the side effects were mounting.
Time was running out. He'd had a couple of fits, his heart weakening by the day. Without a donor, he wouldn't survive the night.
The only hope Inés had rested on Monica, the Office Manager. She remembered Monica mentioned that the agency had used the same embryo donor for another family. There was a chance, however slim, the other child could be the match.
"Hello Monica, it's Inés here. Did you reach the family about my request?"
"No, I haven’t been able to. I'll get back to you soon."
"Mauricio needs the transplant as soon as possible or he'll die. Just give me their number? It's one blood test, that's all.”
"I'm sorry, I cannot disclose this information, it's confidential."
"My son's life is in your hands."
"I'm afraid it is the clinic's policy, sorry, good bye."
That evening Inés decided to break into the clinic's office to find the family’s details. She hadn't counted on the security and her ordeal began when she came face to face with the security guard. They struggled as he tried to arrest her and somehow she ended up holding his gun.
She didn't remember deciding what came next. Only minutes later, she was standing in the children's ward, the gun raised, hostages around her.
The police surrounded the hospital. Inés in desperation called the local news pleading on air for the family to come forward before her son died.
Across town, Mrs Hernandez sat watching TV. Her son had been conceived from the same donor batch as Mauricio, at the same clinic. A news flash interrupted her programme and she recognised the woman on the screen from the photo Monica had shown her earlier.
"I don't really know how I ended up here.” Inés said, her voice breaking. “I would do anything to save my son. I'm a damsel in distress."
At that moment the doctor ran in.
"Your son had another fit. He is fighting but..."
Inés drop the call and ran to his bedside.
"Please don't leave me, what would I do without you? You're strong, fight it so we can go to the amusement park again.”
"
Tuff stuff. Well written
ReplyDelete