Damsel in Distress by Mongolita
"Morning mum, are we still going to the amusement park later?"
"Of course, son. And we will get a ride on the Roller Coaster and an ice-cream after."
Mauricio's excitement was short-lived. After getting his ice-cream he suddenly collapsed. Inés ran to his rescue and was shocked to see his lifeless body lying on the floor.
"Somebody, call an ambulance!"
After weeks and many countless tests, Dr Hector diagnosed Mauricio with leukemia and he needed a bone marrow transplant.
After many attempts to become parents, Inés and Cesar opted to undergo embryo transplant in a private clinic. Mauricio was born, and was the cherished son Inés had longed for.
Mauricio was close to his mum but the relationship with his dad, was distant. Sadly, the demands of Cesar’s job put too much strain on their marriage, and it led to their divorce and Inés had full custody of their son.
Ines’ mother, Lisa, was her pillar of strength who accompanied Ines to the pediatric oncologist visits. Mauricio wasn't responding to the treatment and the side effects were showing.
Time was running out. He had a couple of fits, and his heart was getting weaker. Unless they found a donor he wouldn't survive the night.
The only possibility Inés had rested on Monica, the Office Manager. She remembered Monica mentioned that the agency had used the same embryo donor for another family. There was a chance, however slim, that child could be the match.
"Monica, it's Inés here. Did you reach the family about my request?"
"I haven’t been able to get through. I'll get back to you."
"Mauricio needs the transplant tonight or he'll die. Just give me their number? It's one blood test, that's all.”
"I'm sorry I cannot disclose that, it's confidential."
"My son's life is in your hands."
"I'm afraid it is the clinic's policy, good bye."
That evening Inés broke into the clinic's office to find the family’s details. Her ordeal began when she came face to face with the security guard. They struggled as he tried to arrest her and somehow she ended up holding his gun.
She didn't remember deciding what came next. Only minutes later, she was standing in the children's ward, the gun raised, hostages around her.
The hospital was surrounded by police. Inés in desperation called the local news pleading on air for the family to come forward before her son died.
Across town, Mrs Hernandez sat watching TV. Her son had been created with the same donor batch as Mauricio, at the same clinic. A news flash interrupted her programme. She instantly recognised the woman on the screen from the photo Monica showed her earlier that day.
"I don't really know how I ended up here.” Inés said, her voice breaking. “I would do anything to save my son. I'm a damsel in distress."
At that moment the doctor ran in.
"Your son had another fit. He is fighting but..."
Inés left the call and ran to his bedside, pleading to him .
"Please don't leave me, what would I do without you? You're strong, fight it so we can go to the amusement park again.”
Comments
Post a Comment