Betrayal- an open letter- written by Berni Albrighton





Why do you continue to pillage every part of my being?

From the start of our relationship, I have provided for you in abundance.

Was it not enough? 

Is that why you have plunged the depths of my soul, polluting it with your rubbish?

But you didn’t start there did you?

You trampled the canvas of centuries woven, tearing down and ravaging the beauty that was paradise.

My natural landscape wasn’t to your taste, so you replaced it. 

The annihilation, impossible to resolve despite the good intentions of some. 

How can our relationship be reconciled when there is no let up?

You treat me with disdain and indifference, as if I were the enemy instead of the provider.

Flora and fauna has been decimated by you, species wiped out. 

Money and power have replaced natural beauty, buildings dominate the horizon. 

Second by painful, heartbreaking second, someone finds new, more ingenious ways to destroy my good intentions.

Now my higher being, one of the true wonders that I gifted you, is no longer sacred or safe.

Look up in wonder.

I didn't randomly sprinkle planets and stars and solar systems across the night skies.                   

There is a reason for everything that you see.

Mankind has found its way there and science threatens its magnificence.

I weep in confusion and sadness as I write this.

Never did I imagine such betrayal.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Julia- a short story by Vic Davey

The New Beginning Part One written by Maria-Elena Heed

Metamorphosis, (on wonderful Breeze FM) by Helen Jones